Friday, September 6, 2013

My Week of Running OR Lack there of! Taper & Recovery Week

This week I reduced my mileage to less than 50% of my peak mileage week - 90-05 miles. Last week I peaked at 95 miles. With my half marathon coming up this Sunday, September 8th in Stillwater, MN at Square Lake Triathlon (click the link) and my body in need of a recovery week, it was a perfect time to  take a recovery week from my training.

Square Lake Triathlon in Stillwater, MN this Sunday!
http://www.frontrunnerusa.com/event/square-lake-triathlon-long-course-sunday

My body was feeling achy through out the week last week, so today I am feeling back to almost 100%. The other thing holding me back from my running is an injury from a tight anterior tibialis muscle. From increasing my volume and increasing my weekly mileage running at a slight incline, it tightened up on me. There is a tendon from the anterior tibialis that runs into the bottom of your foot. Through massage and doing heals raises on a step, I have slowly healed my anterior tibialis.

Article on Anterior Tibialis Tendon Inflammation -
http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sport-injuries/ankle-achilles-shin-pain/tibialis-anterior-tendon-sheath-inflammation

Giving my legs and body plenty of rest along with carb loading and increased red meat intake this week, I am feeling confident going into the event. This will be my first half marathon so I can only hope for the best! I am looking forward to see how much my training has prepped me to this point and with Chicago only 5 weeks away, it will be a fun training run! After this week, I will have 3 hard weeks of training (70 mile week, 80 mile week & 90 mile week), 2 weeks of tapering (60 mile & 50 mile weeks) and race day Sunday, October 13th! I just need to stay healthy

Please feel free to share your upcoming events!

Happy Training, Happy Racing :)


1 comment: