Tuesday, August 20, 2013

My Threshold Workout Today - Try it Out on your next Threshold Day!

Today I did my threshold (zone 3) workout. This week is an 80 mile week for me. Less than 7 weeks from Chicago Marathon! This was my workout...

1.5 mile warm  (8.3, 8.7, 9.1, 9.5, 9.9 mph each for 2 minutes)
5 X 2 mile repeats (10.3 mph on treadmill) with 0.25 mile recovery between (I rest off the treadmill)
(Total = 10 miles of Threshold "zone 3" work) - this would be about 12% of your weekly volume
Since I am running 80 miles this week - 10 miles is my volume of Threshold work - yours will differ depending on how many miles you are running
Easy Run 6 miles after for cool down - 9.1-9.8 mph 0.5-1% incline ramping up every 2 minutes
(9.1mph 0.5% 2 minutes, 9.1mph 1% incline 2 min, 9.2mph 0.5% 2 min, 9.2mph 1% 2 min, etc, etc up to 9.8mph 1% incline 2 min)
Since I do basically all of my workouts on a treadmill, this is a way for me to mix it up and keep from getting bored - I make sure I stay in my Zone 1&2 for the cool down to recover from the workout but still finish with a hard workout.
Total miles run - 17.5 miles for the day

I challenge you to try a similar workout but with your own paces! It is a great workout and you will feel that much stronger when doing your long runs since this is basically a long run with Threshold Pace for over half the workout.

Please feel free to share your own threshold workouts!

Happy Threshold Running :)

No comments:

Post a Comment