Sunday, August 25, 2013

My Long Run Today - End of My 80 Mile Week

Today I ran my long run at about marathon pace! With Chicago Marathon 7 weeks away, I am running stronger than ever! On the treadmill as usual for me but my 2nd long run ever with the treadmill at an incline the entire run! This is a big deal for me, because for over 10 years, every time I do long runs/basically ALL my runs on the treadmill I ran at a 0% incline. So now I am running at a 0.5-1% incline. If you have been reading my blog, one thing you will learn about me is that I am not your "typical" runner. I almost ALWAYS run on a treadmill, but I love running on the treadmill. It's really hard for me to move away and run outside but I do try to get a couple outdoor runs in prior to my races.

Here was my workout for today...

1.5 miles 8.3-9.9mph Warm Up
20 miles - 9.7mph 0.5% incline 2 minutes, 9.7mph 1% incline 2 minutes
                 9.8mph 0.5% incline 2 minutes, 9.8mph 1% incline 2 minutes
                 9.9mph 0.5% incline 2 minutes, 9.9mph 1% incline 2 minutes
                 10mph 0.5% incline 2 minutes, 10mph 1% incline 2 minutes
                 9.9mph 0.5% incline 2 minutes, 9.9mph 1% incline 2 minutes
                 9.8mph 0.5% incline 2 minutes, 9.8mph 1% incline 2 minutes
                 9.7mph 0.5% incline 2 minutes, 9.7mph 1% incline 2 minutes
                 I then ladder back up to 10mph and repeat until I reach 20 miles!
Total - 21.5 miles

I felt really strong for the run, outside of a little GI distress. Maybe it was a mental thing after writing an article on "The Importance of Water". Dehydration can cause GI distress and today even running inside on the treadmill I think I sweat out a liter or two of water! After my workout out I mixed a scoop of dextrose into my water bottle to start replacing my glycogen stores and help my muscle recover from the exercise. Since I run my long runs at a little higher intensity (marathon pace) I like to make sure I get dextrose post long runs. Also to help my body retain more water.

Feel free to post any comments!

Happy Inclined Treadmill Running :)



No comments:

Post a Comment