Thursday, October 3, 2013

2 Week Taper & Getting Ready for Chicago Marathon

This week I started my 2 week taper to Chicago Marathon! Since your body can not make adaptations 2 weeks prior to a race, it is important to dial back your volume of training and give your body the recovery it needs. This will add significant performance gains when it comes to race day!

What do I do for my 2 week taper? Here is my current training plan...

2 Weeks Out - About 70-75% training volume (65-70 miles)
Monday - 2 Miles Easy Recovery
Tuesday - 2 Mile Warm Up - 8 X 1 Mile Repeats Threshold Pace - 0.1 Mile Recovery Between - 2 Mile Cool Down
Wednesday - 13 Miles Easy Run
Thursday - 2 Mile Warm Up - 8 X 0.7 Mile Repeats Speed Work Pace - 0.1 Mile Recovery Between - 2 Mile Cool Down
Friday - 5 Mile Easy Run
Saturday - 8 Mile Easy Run
Sunday - 14 Mile Easy Long Run
(I take my easy runs a little easier, and maintain the intensity with my threshold & speed work runs)

1 Week Out - 50% of training volume including race (45 miles)
Monday - 4 Mile Easy Recovery Run
Tuesday - Testing - 2 X 2 Mile Race Pace Run - Try to determine a starting pace for my marathon
3 Miles - Easy Run (Warm Up & Cool Down)
Wednesday - 4 Mile Easy Run
Thursday - 3 Mile Easy Run
Friday - 2 Mile Easy Run
Saturday - OFF Completely
Sunday - 26.2 Miles Chicago Marathon!

This is what my actual workouts look like for those 2 weeks. These are my hardest weeks of training. It is extremely hard coming off a 90 Mile week to tapering off! I know the importance it has when it comes to performance, so it is worth the wait and taking the time for you body to be at its peak going into the race! I will cover more on my pre race nutrition a week out from the race soon!

Feel free to post or email me with any comments or questions!

Happy Tapered Running! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment