Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Dysfunctional Gluteus Medius & Strengthening Exercises to Correct It - My Current Running Struggle

A dysfunctional gluteus medius can lead to running injury. When the left gluteus medius is weakened, your right side is lowered (or vice versa), throwing off your pelvic alignment. The role of the gluteus medius during walking & running activities is to dynamically stabilize the pelvis in a neutral position during single leg stance. With this type of dysfunction, and what happened to me during the first 12 miles of Chicago Marathon, is the appearance and the body's compensation of basically running on one leg.

To strengthen your gluteus medius, and keep your pelvis in neutral position, there are a couple key exercise to perform.

1. Side-lying hip abduction &/or standing hip abduction
2. Single limb squat
3. Lateral band walk
4. Single-limb deadlift

Check out the link of the article I found online -

http://www.mikereinold.com/2009/10/best-exercises-for-gluteus-maximus-and.html

Since Chicago Marathon, I am currently resting, stretching, foam rolling, and light elliptical and running for 20-30 minutes every one day. I started my strengthening exercise this past weekend. My exercises consist of the following...

Warm Up - Body weight Body Bar Squats, Med Ball Squat Lifts, Walking Lunges with a Med Ball Twist

Exercises - 12 reps - 2 sets

1. Arm & Leg Slides - to warm up my inner core
2. Quadruped with Leg Extension
3. Single Leg Hip Lifts on the mat
4. Prone Cobras on a stability ball
5. Standing Leg Abduction
6. Single Leg Squats
7. Band Walks with a resistance band

I am hoping with one more week of light cardio exercise and strength training to be up and running soon! Sacramento is only about 6 weeks away! Unless I am up and running in the next 2 weeks, I may need to hold off on my racing until the spring and just take care of myself through the winter. I am really hoping this is not the case! I would love to run Sacramento again this December, but time will tell.

If you have any questions feel free to email me or post any comments!

Happy Gluteal Running :)

No comments:

Post a Comment