Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Running Cross Training - Soccer!

This week I started playing on a coed 6V6 soccer league. Growing up I played soccer for 16 years finishing my last 4 years at UMD. The last few years I took a break and focused more on coaching soccer and also on my running training. Yesterday was my first game back at playing competitive soccer in a few years! 
 
Participation in soccer practices and competitions may be quite advantageous for runners. During a soccer game, players covered a large distance with their heart rates elevated most of the game. Blood lactate levels often rise as high as comparable concentrates observed during 5k and 10k races. For runners, participating in a soccer game is like conducting a prolonged, intense interval workout. The changes in direction required for soccer play may also be beneficial for leg strength, muscle balance, agility, coordination, and injury prevention.
 
For fun cross training, put on your cleats and kick the soccer ball around. It's a fun way to stay in shape and cross train for running at the same time!
 
Happy Soccer Cross Training for Running! 

No comments:

Post a Comment