Friday, October 3, 2014

Pre Race Nutrition! My favorite pre race foods and meals!

When it comes to tapering week for my marathons (or other races), nutrition and plenty of rest are my main focus! What are my nutrition must haves? The days leading into a race my nutrition looks like this..

4-6 days prior to the race...
High Protein and Fats, Low Carb
Foods and meals include - Chicken, salads, olive oils, vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower) almonds, walnuts, whey protein bars (whey protein, almond butter, agave maple syrup, coconut flour, oatmeal, pecans, vanilla extract)

1-3 days prior to the race...
High Carb, Moderate Protein, Low Fat
Foods and meals include - Quinoa (with peppers, olives, feta and sea salt) Clif Bars (high protein and regular) Sushi (typically trader joes sushi tray) Whey protein bars (heavier on the carbs) Blueberries (good antioxidants) Plenty of lemon water and electrolytes

The 3 days leading into a race I try to have 300 grams of carbohydrates each day and balancing the rest of my calories with protein and some fats. Foods that contain nutrient dense carbohydrates and still some protein and fats to fuel my body for race day!

The morning of the race, I will have a high protein clif bar and possibly a regular one too within the hour of the starting line along with coffee, water, and electrolytes.

These are my nutrition must haves prior to the race! After 10 marathons and various other half marathons and 10K races, this is what I found that works best for me!

Feel free to post comments on your pre race nutrition or favorite training foods!

Happy Nutritious Running :)

No comments:

Post a Comment